Flyball Class #7

It has been a little while since an update. School started for the year, so my attention has been focused on my students. It's time for the teacher's pet to get some extra attention! Ah-ha.

The golden child has not been living up to his moniker with the training. We haven't had much success at home desensitizing the box. Class gave me some hope, though. Our instructor is going to 'put him on ice' for a few weeks to let him really gain confidence with the box.

Today, we did box work and recall work.

The box work was on the ramp, not a real box. We are going to NOT EVER (if I can help myself) trigger the box at home for the next week. The weird thing was that Duncan was turning to his left, which is opposite of normal for him. We're going to switch his turn as well and see if that works for him. He dropped the ball multiple times, too. I hope the joke about shelties is true and that at 14 months, you get their brain in the mail. Duncan is 14 months exactly today!! I'll check the mail again later.

The only thing worth mentioning during the recall work was that I took a nasty spill. It was hilarious and mortifying. Part of me is sooo grateful there wasn't a camera around. Part of me wants to watch it back.

So our homework this week is to work on the box with the ball velcro-ed to it. Work on the turn, work on the recall, NEVER triggering. Even desensitization is out. Sigh.

Is it horrible that I'm frustrated and quite ready to be competing? I love my baby though and will go at the pace he needs.

On a side note, we're trying to get Abigail (older Sheltie sister) interested in the ball. We're starting by teaching fetch. If it is a stuffed toy, she'll play all day long. As soon as we switch for a ball, though, she gets bored.

Also, we aren't doing the Oct 1/2 tournament, so the pressure is not so bad.

Lastly, there will be no agility updates for the next two weeks due to Open House and then a training I have to do. But on the third week - you bet you're getting an update!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers